We began a fundraising campaign in 2008 specifically for the needed updates. The church, which was founded by immigrants in 1819, was built in 1869. Our Parish raised $1.2 million to restore the church
The renovations range from the practical to the decorative to the sentimental:
• Complete plastering repair and repainting of the entire church.
• The church steeples were repainted and a statue of St. John between them has been covered with gold leaf.
• Items from St. Francis DeSales and St. Mary’s churches, whose parishes were merged into St. John’s, have been installed in St. John’s.
• From St. Francis DeSales, as well as two angels that adorned either side of the main altar, and the marble altar and lectern, have been installed.
• From St. Mary’s, sculptures of the Blessed Mother and St. Joseph that were hand carved by a former St. Mary’s pastor, the Rev. Joseph Ploeckl, in the mid-20th century have been transfered.
• The church’s front steps were coming away from the building, and this was fixed.
• The building has been made handicap accessible, he said. Church entrances have been improved, bathrooms revamped and an elevator has been installed.
Please click here to view some photos of the restoration.